In Honor of Mesothelioma Awareness Day: Here Are the Top Five Things You Need to Know About Mesothelioma
Mesothelioma is a deadly cancer that does not get a lot of news time. In honor of Mesothelioma Awareness Day this September, we are sharing the Top Five Things You Need to Know About Mesothelioma. Please share this article to help spread awareness about this awful cancer.
1. Mesothelioma is a cancer caused by asbestos exposure. Asbestos is a very small material that can be found in many older homes, factories, schools, commercial buildings and even products.
2. There is no safe level of exposure to asbestos. Asbestos is so dangerous that even one single or “small” dosage of exposure can cause mesothelioma. Typically, there is a period of time, around 30 years or more, before a person who was exposed to asbestos starts developing symptoms of mesothelioma.
3. Mesothelioma can be caused be secondary exposure. Mesothelioma is not only a risk for people who worked near or even with asbestos. Instead, family members of those who worked near or with asbestos are also at risk of developing mesothelioma later in their life.
4. Asbestos has not been banned in the US. There are tight regulations for its use yet, despite the regulations, around 30 million pounds of asbestos are still being used in the U.S. each year.
5. Get thee to a lawyer. Developing mesothelioma is due to no fault of your own, but you may face mountains of healthcare costs. A mesothelioma attorney like those at Baron and Budd can help you hold the companies that exposed you to asbestos accountable, in turn helping you get the money you need to pay expensive medical bills. You may call one of our lawyers at (866) 538-0485 or contact us here for a free and confidential consult about what your legal rights are.
Please share this article. Let’s start talking about mesothelioma for what it is: a deadly cancer caused by a dangerous carcinogen that we STILL have not banned.